Visit Nijmegen and imagine the history of the oldest city in the country. The city’s past is not forgotten, but cherished in its beautiful historic buildings, parks and museums. The ‘Sint-Stevens church’ and the ‘Waagh’ on the Grote Markt, ‘Museum het Valkhof’ and of course the ‘Goffertpark’ for events.
Humphrey’s Restaurant Nijmegen is located on the Waalkade, which is known under this name since circa 1900. Before this the area was called: ‘Aan ’t Water’, ‘Op den Werf’ or ‘Aan den Waal’, and was an industrious part of the old city of Nijmegen. During a long period of the 20th century, it was also used for industry and shipping. Several factories were located here, among others an electricity plant. During the eighties the area was reconstructed into a quay with a predominantly recreational function. The Waalkade runs from the Waalbrug to the Spoorbrug.
Below the Waalbrug a car park is located and behind the quay several historical buildings are found, such as the National Cycle museum ‘Velorama’ and the ‘Stratemakers tower’. In front of this the ‘Lindenberg harbour’ is located. From the Veerpoort steps, which run from the Valkhof, until the Grotestraat, which connects the Waalkade to the shopping centre, the quay mainly has a recreational function. Along the river there is a promenade, and behind it a one way street (bus lines excluded), with a bike path on both sides. On the quay, cruise and recreational ships can dock. Behind the road a large square is found, which is mainly used for terraces, but is also to host large events, such as the ‘Vierdaagse’ parties. On the raised quay walls a branch of Holland Casino is located. At this point the monumental ‘Besiendershuis’ is located directly behind the Waalkade.